St Joseph’s Church is located at 38 Ten Broeck St in downtown Albany, NY. Click the map below to get driving directions.
If you are coming from SUNY Albany, take the #12 bus from Collins Circle. Click here for detailed instructions.
If you are coming from St Rose, take the #10 bus. Click here for detailed instructions.
About St Joe’s:
“To anyone approaching the city from the north or from the hills of Rensselear the ever changing skyline of the city is a wonderful site to behold. The soaring gothic revival spires of St. Joseph’s at the foot of Arbor Hill and the tower of Our Lady Help of Christians in the South End still dominate their brownstone and row house neighborhoods as they have since Victorian times.”
“2006: The Historic Albany Foundation initiated 150 fund-raising parties to restore St. Joseph’s Church on Arbor Hill.”
-from:Albany: Capital City on the Hudson. An Illustrated History. John J. McEneny. American Historical
Press. Sun Valley, California. c 2006.
“The monumental Saint Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church was completed in 1856 to the designs of Patrick Keeley, one of the foremost architects of Catholic churches in the United States and the architect of Albany’s Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception (1848-52).
St Joseh’s was the third Catholic parish established in Albany, and in 1843 the cornerstone was laid for the parish’s orginial building at N. Peal St. and Livingston Ave. As the parish grew, the need for a larger church became apparent.
The walls of this Gothic Revival building are bluestone, and the trim was orginially buff stone from the Caen quarries of France. The trim, however, was replaced in 1866 with Indiana limestone because of deterioration of the original material.
The steeple, designed by Albany architects M.L. and H.G. Emery, was added around 1910.
The interior is embellished with a hammerbeam roof structure with angels’ heads and a polychrome ceiling.
Because the congregation was dwindling, the Albany Dioces decided to close St. Joseph’s in the early 1980s. ”
-from: Albany Architecture. Edited by Diana S. Waite. Mount Ida Press. Published in association with the
Preservation League of New York State. Albany, New York. c 1994.